Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Joys of Snail Mail…


Lately I have decided that I am getting old. If any of you can think back to a time when your parents would complain about the bills they had that constantly came in the mail, well that is now happening to me. Before having responsibility, I would get marriage announcements, letters, magazine subscriptions, packages, etc. Basically anything that would arrive in the mailbox with my name on it was something to look forward to. My how times have changed; now it is either our wonderful monthly bills or invites to open another line of credit.

Luckily God knows how depressed I can get and offered us an easy solution: The Internet. For our trip to Switzerland, my professor decided it would be wise to invest in some good hiking shoes, storage devices for our photos, bags to carry stuff, power converters, etc. Since I live in the small region of Cache Valley my options are slim and sometimes expensive so I resorted to looking for things online. This isn't anything new to me as I often am looking for great deals on EBay and Amazon. So with all of these things we need to buy I have been shopping at multiple online outlets and my first purchase arrived yesterday.

This is the joy of snail mail. Amid all of the junk that arrives in the mailbox on a daily basis my pearl of great price outshines them all. It may be nothing more than a stupid item, but to have it show up at my house already paid in full and cheaper than retail brought a smile to my face. I love checking the mail and finding things of self-gratification rather than misery and endless woe.

-Chris

Note: My sister and her fiancĂ© introduced me to Steep and Cheap where I managed to get some good hiking shoes for 60% off. They have a lot of outdoor equipment and sell one item at a time until it is sold out, so check it out…

1 comment:

Katy said...

You're a great writer, Chris. Ever thought about writing a book? I would be the first to buy it, if you did! Looking forward to seeing you guys this month.