Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Movie Magic…

I love movies, but the majority of the movies that hit theaters are not worth the money that it now costs when I can rent them for a few dollars and watch it on the big screen in the comfort of my home. I am always looking up recently released trailers at the website Movie-List to help me decide what films deserve my money at the box office. Sadly by the time most of them are rated they get a big R slapped onto them which makes me miss out on a lot of great films.

I was looking forward to watching M. Night Shyamalan's new thriller The Happening and another comedy starring Jack Black, Ben Stiller, and Robert Downey Jr called Tropic Thunder but both were put on the Restricted list. This happens all too often but a couple days ago I was treated to a trailer of a film called Australia which takes place during World War II. It stars Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman and is directed by Baz Luhrmann (William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge, and Strictly Ballroom)

Granted I don't know much about the movie and I don't know if it will be a smash hit or miss, but it has definitely jumped to the top of my must sees this year. I have enjoyed his other movies but what really caught my attention was how well done the trailer was executed. It had the sense of a great classical film from the yesteryears. The type he used for the names and titles had a very classy touch, the way it was directed and shot had really eye-grabbing scenes and the music alone made me so emotional by capturing everything a movie should be about. Sure the trailer music won't be in the actual movie, but I hope it delivers on my own personal hype. There is too much crap in theaters now days and I hope this reclaims some of the forgotten movie magic…

-Chris

3 comments:

Tammie said...

Looks good. Thanks for sharing!
can't wait to see you guys on Saturday!

mckenzie said...

chris you are so creative. i love that you appreciate the beautiful things.

Jeff said...

I just got a lot of chills. I didn't want to, but I did. I'm excited for that movie. I love epic soundtracks.